Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Finally Starting!

As some of you may know, I came out to South Korea a little early; Alyssa’s job began but mine had not. Well, this week I finally got to see my school and begin to meet my co-workers. Incidentally, midterm exams began on Wednesday which I have found out means the students are busy Monday/Tuesday and have half days during the exam period. So I have done little teaching but I am becoming more familiar with my surroundings and introducing myself to the students. I have to admit that even this part is pretty intimidating!

Today, I finally got to eat with Koreans! Aside from a quick meal after I was picked up at the airport, I have eaten a lot of Korean food but have not eaten with any Koreans! Today, that changed. After being told yesterday that some teachers were getting dinner today (I thought it sounded funny, but went with it), I discovered that after morning exams, a group of teachers, vice principal and principal were going out to lunch. I came along to get to know my coworkers better even if I couldn’t speak with most of them. It was quite an experience.

First thing I noticed, when we arrived at the restaurant was that the women allowed all of the men to enter the backroom and fill up the first 3 tables. Two women took the final spots at my table but when male teachers arrived late, the woman gave up their spots. Korean society seems to be very hierarchal but I obviously do not know the order or what trumps what. I have seen men serve women, bosses serve subordinates, young serve old. It is not something I really want to ask about, at least just yet, so I usually defer whenever offered something in case it would be disrespectful to sit/receive/do anything before someone else. They brought out Soju (Korean alcohol, stronger than wine, less so than hard A) and beer so that the principal and another teacher could make a toast. Then they brought out LOTS and LOTS of meat to accompany the salads and pickled vegetables that awaited us when we arrived. I do not know if Koreans eat an insane amount of food or they just have the benefit of knowing when something is the meal or a single course but I was told to eat way more than (most of you could J and) I should have. All of that to then choose whether I wanted rice or noodles next. The rice they usually serve is a small, manageable portion. The noodles, however, that everyone including myself ordered were a meal within themselves. A big metal bowl filled with ”spicy, sweet and sour noodles” in a cold broth with ice, cucumber and a hard boiled egg floating in it arrived in front of me. They ate this quickly as I tried to keep up. Then a glass of thick, sweet tea and another of coffee were served as dessert. At this point, I was ready for a nap!!

My ride to the restaurant then told that me he was going somewhere else so I should find another ride to the school. I do, only to find my office locked. This language barrier is gonna take some getting used to. Hahah

All in all, a good day. I wanted to let you guys know about my first meal with native Koreans. Lots more stuff I wanna tell y’all about soon!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment